FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 17,000 megawatts.
FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company (FENOC) is a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp., based in Akron, Ohio. Their energy supply is supported by a diverse fleet of nuclear generating plants that include the Davis Besse Nuclear and Perry Nuclear power plants in Ohio and the Beaver Valley site in Pennsylvania.
Davis Besse Nuclear Power Station, located in Oak Harbor, Ohio is a single unit pressurized water reactor that produces 908 megawatts of electricity, enough to power more that 750,000 homes. The 954-acre site is situated on Lake Erie, just east of Toledo. The plant received its license in 1977 and is currently licensed to operate through 1937.
The Opportunity: FirstEnergy is seeking an Electrical Maintenance Trainer (Senior or Staff Nuclear Specialist) for their Davis Besse Nuclear Power Plant. The position is responsible for maintaining the Electrical maintenance training programs at the station to ensure that the plant remains in a state of readiness and that they meet all National Academy for Nuclear Training (NANT) accreditation standards, objectives and criteria.
Reports to: Training Manager, Davis Besse Nuclear Power Plant
Location: Davis Besse Nuclear Power Plant, Oak Harbor, Ohio
- Maintains Electrical maintenance training programs to NANT Accreditation Standards.
- Maintains an excellent working knowledge of the Systematic Approach to Training (SAT) process, applicable regulatory requirements, industry codes and standards.
- Designs, develops and conducts initial and continuing training in various settings such as classroom, laboratory and On-The-Job (OJT)/Task Performance Evaluation (TPE).
- Coordinates and conducts training to ensure that maintenance personnel have the requisite knowledge and skills to perform their jobs competently and safely.
- Ensures that the Electrical Maintenance training program reflects plant policies, equipment, procedures and industry events to improve plant performance.
- Partners with line managers to identify performance issues beneath plant symptoms and determines proactive strategies for improving performance at both the department and plant levels.
- Acts as a performance consultant with plant personnel at all levels to determine training needs for Electrical maintenance training programs.
- Identifies training interventions to drive performance improvement for Electrical maintenance.
- Ensures that training schedules are created, training material developed, and training presented as required to meet plant training and qualification requirements.
- Coordinates and attends various training committee meetings designed to communicate training issues and solicit input from station personnel on content, scheduling, and implementation of programs.
- Observes and evaluates subject matter experts’ performance in training settings and providing recommendations necessary to ensure the effective presentation of training programs.
- Designs, develops and conducts the necessary training required to qualify craft and supplemental personnel to support plant outages.
- Conducts student counseling and remediation in accordance with company procedures and policies.
- Performs training and field observations in accordance with department expectations.
- Performs plant outage and Emergency Response Organization (ERO) duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Instructor Certification from an INPO-approved training program is preferred.
- Must exhibit a high degree of nuclear professionalism, commitment to nuclear safety, sound judgment, personal integrity, leadership skills, and the motivation to drive excellence in performance through training.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management and outside agencies.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must possess the coordination skills necessary to independently schedule various training courses
- Should possess a strong desire to learn and implement instructional skills and methods.
- Must reside within site-specific ERO response time.
Education and Experience:
Senior Nuclear Specialist – Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and a minimum of 5 years’ technical experience in nuclear plant electrical maintenance or technical training or 10 years of related experience in a heavily industrial non-nuclear facility or a High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of 8 years’ technical experience in nuclear power plant electrical maintenance or technical training or 12 years related experience in a heavily industrial non-nuclear facility.
Staff Nuclear Specialist – Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and a minimum of 8 years’ technical experience in nuclear power plant electrical maintenance or technical training or 12 years’ of related experience in a heavily industrial non-nuclear facility or HS diploma or GED and a minimum of 10 years technical experience in nuclear power plant electrical maintenance or technical training or 14 years related experience in a heavily industrial non-nuclear facility.
Compensation: The appropriate candidate will be offered an attractive salary, excellent benefits, and relocation assistance commensurate with the position.
Contact Information: KeySource Thomas Thor has been exclusively retained to conduct this leadership search. All information exchanged and related to this role is considered proprietary and will managed through: