URENCO is a provider of uranium enrichment services and fuel cycle products to the world’s nuclear energy industry. The URENCO Group head office is located close to London, UK. With plants in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and the USA, it operates in a pivotal area of the nuclear fuel supply chain which enables the sustainable generation of electricity for consumers around the world.
Utilising URENCO’s own centrifuge technology, URENCO provides safe, cost-effective and reliable uranium enrichment services for civil power generation within a framework of high environmental, social and corporate responsibility standards. At the end of 2017, URENCO’s global capacity was 18,800 tonnes of Separative Work per annum (tSW/a).
The Opportunity: URENCO’s Group Projects is a Global Shared Service, dedicated to delivering excellence in Project Lifecycle Management. Its extensive mandate in capital investment management extends to:
- Capital allocation and budget planning
- Project Portfolio Management
- Project Governance and Assurance
- Project Delivery (of major or complex projects to the Business)
The Senior Project Manager – Owner Experience reports to the Director Group Projects with a functional reporting line to a project board or senior project sponsor for specific project assignments.
The primary purpose of this role is to evolve and enhance URENCO’s project delivery capabilities across a global footprint stretching over four operational sites and a number of business activities. Embedded within Group Projects, the Senior Project Manager provides excellence in the delivery of capital projects.
Its remit stretches from project development at concept stage, through project execution strategies, to direct delivery of projects to the business.
Position Title: Group Senior Project Manager – Owner Experience
Reports to: Director, Group Projects
Location: Any URENCO location, except USA
URENCO Group’s global project portfolio exceeds €100 million annual capex. Typical internal projects ranging to €50 million with major projects in excess of €500 million.
Organisational and Job Contexts
The role forms part of Group Projects which is a URENCO Group Shared Service across all Business Units.
The Senior PM provides subject matter expert consulting and advice across URENCO Group’s project portfolio.
The Senior PM may be assigned to one major, or a number of smaller projects of considerable strategic significance to assume a direct delivery role.
Education and Qualifications Required
- Educated to Degree level in a relevant discipline
- MBA or equivalent
- Project Management Qualification / Accreditation such as APM, PMI or Prince2
- Min. 5 years’ experience of delivering capex projects as a PM for the owner/investor in a staff role
- Min. one project exceeding €100 million successfully delivered in the leading PM role
- Demonstrable experience across the entire project lifecycle, from concept development to hand-over
- Min. 10 years working with multi-cultural teams
- Demonstrable success in project delivery outside the nuclear industry
Specific Know-how and Skills Requirements
- Ability to analyse project requirements and critical success factors and translate these into bespoke Delivery Strategies
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing strategies that successfully deliver project to Business objectives (safety, budget, cost, benefits)
- Experience of and be skilled in managing ambiguity and being confident to take accountability for delivering projects to the Business
- Demonstrable ability in building teams of highly performing professionals, communicating strategy and building a team accountable for the delivery of the project
- Solid knowledge of leading project management techniques
- Skilled in leading project teams to success with minimal supervision.
- Experience of managing complex contractual relationships including the provision of free-issue materials, technology or IP, able to demonstrate a proven track record in managing suppliers to deliver within this context.
- Technical background in engineering
- Extensive knowledge of the EPC contractor, major EPS and Construction supply markets and will have gained insights into their relative strengths and weaknesses and ability to leverage relationships with key members of supplier’s leadership teams to URENCO’s advantage.
- Proven track record in managing contract delivery, protecting the owner’s contractual position at all times and preventing the likelihood of claims.
Team Leadership (level 3)
Ability to align multicultural team members around clear, common goals to successfully achieve project objectives, in roles ranging from oversight or “management by influencing” to active delivery.
Driving for Results (level 4)
Continuous drive to achieve and exceed challenging goals, bringing a restless desire to constantly improve.
Focus on Performance (level 3)
Holding team members and contributors accountable to all standards of performance.
Acting Decisively (level 4)
Taking action to position URENCO to succeed in the future. Willingness to accept personal risk, inherent where action is based on trends and forecasts rather than complete data and information.
Going Beyond the Data (level 4)
Ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related and identify underlying issues.
Customer Orientation (level 3)
Focusing effort on discovering and meeting the customer’s (project, or business) requirements.
Thirst for Knowledge (level 4)
Driven by an underlying curiosity and desire to improve subject matter, organisational, and personnel knowledge.
Building a Learning Culture (level 2)
Supporting and enabling others to develop their capability in line with organisational needs and personal professional aspirations.
Working Collaboratively (level 3)
Works co-operatively with others, seeking input from others within the business, as opposed to working separately or in isolation.
Challenger Mentality (level 3)
Thinks independently to offer alternative views or suggestions based on a robust understanding of the subject matter and the situation or issue.
Compensation: The successful candidate will be offered an attractive salary, excellent benefits and relocation assistance commensurate with the position.
Contact Information: KeySource Thomas Thor has been exclusively retained to conduct this leadership search. All information exchanged and related to this role is considered proprietary and will be managed through: